I took 15 mins out of the start of my day to read the news and celebrate the Supreme Court upholding the Affordable Care Act.
Reasons why I personally love the affirmation on the ACA;
1) Because if Kevin "Wash" Pratt-King had been able to get insurance through the State OR an affordable private source when he was unemployed due to his tumor in 2009, his brain cancer might have been caught before it was "terminal" staged.
2) Because Kevin "Wash" was only 25 when this happened, I was 23 and neither of us were able to be covered for insurance under our parents (which again, could have caught the tumor early)
3) Because (hopefully) after 2014 no one will have to have an Insurance Appeals Judge tell them to "move to Canada, we can't pay for your medical needs in this State."
4) Because (hopefully) after 2014 individuals and humans won't have to beg strangers for money to afford medication to live; which caused The Fundly website (for us)to even need to exist; http://fundly.com/thecommunecares
Want to argue with me AGAINST the ACA? Please donate to help our medical bills first; because without the ACA my life and my husband's are literally held by stranger's kindness.
Reasons that Wash and Tashi think The Doctor would also be excited about the ruling today;
1) He's a DOCTOR (of everything!) of course he supports greater access to preventable care
2) Greater chances for medical advancement with more access to patients to study (with informed consent)
3) More preventative care now means less chronic illnesses and death later- MORE COMPANIONS!
4) The Doctor was born with two hearts; he'd be pretty keen on getting rid of "pre-existing conditions" clauses.
5) It saves lives. The Doctor can get behind that.