Saturday, June 19, 2010

Midnight snack

I made crock-pot stew last night. Wash was hungry and I wanted something easy for the rest of the week.
We have a 20 some odd year old Rival Crockpot, it's about 2.5-4 quarts.

Combine
*2 cans whole kernel corn
*2 cans mixed beans I use kidney beans and black beans, can be almost any bean
*1 can green beans / or 1 frozen 12 oz bag of beans/mixed vegetables
*1 can peas or see above with frozen veggles
*2-4 cans stewed and diced tomatoes, also can be done with whole tomatoes
*16 oz of ground meat ; I use fake since I don't do meat. Morningstar Farms FTW for me. Cannot be frozen but does not need to be cooked first
**Black olives are optional they add a chili type of context to it

Combine all ingredients using only the juice from the tomatoes, 1 can corn, and 1 can beans. No more liquid should be necessary.
Add
*2-4 tbsp salt to taste
*2-3 tsp of pepper to taste
*I add fresh oregano and fresh basil, but dried herb can be substituted in. I use 1/2 - 2 oz depending on flavour

Cover on low heat for 6-8 hours, or high heat for 4-5.
Can be frozen and reserved for months.
Makes approx 8-10 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment